Scholars’ Lab is the UVA Library’s community lab for the practice of experimental scholarship in all disciplines, informed by digital humanities, spatial technologies, and cultural heritage approaches.
We offer mentoring, collaboration, and a safe and supportive community experience for anyone curious about learning to push disciplinary and methodological boundaries through new approaches. We’re foremost a space for learning together—about anything—by trying stuff. Think of us as friends and colleagues who can help you teach yourself new ways of approaching your interests.
We are an internationally recognized scholarly team, with strengths including:
- the digital humanities (as a founding member of Centernet, an international network of digital humanities centers)
- GIS, mapping, & other spatial technologies
- cultural heritage informatics (including photogrammetry, scanning, and modeling of artifacts and historic architecture; and exploring virtual reality and augmented reality approaches to this data)
- pedagogy, training, & mentorship in the digital humanities and spatial technologies, practiced with our ~60 formally supported students each year (plus additional, informal support of students via consultation & public programming)
- research & development (e.g. programming and design)
- makerspaces and making as scholarship
- librarianship (e.g. expert consultation for experimental scholarly projects)