rOpenSci is a non-profit initiative founded in 2011 by Karthik Ram, Scott Chamberlain, and Carl Boettiger to make scientific data retrieval reproducible. Over the past seven years we have developed an ecosystem of open source tools, we run annual unconferences, and review community developed software.
rOpenSci fosters a culture that values open and reproducible research using shared data and reusable software.
We do this by:
- Creating technical infrastructure in the form of carefully vetted, staff- and community-contributed R software tools that lower barriers to working with scientific data sources on the web
- Creating social infrastructure through a welcoming and diverse community
- Making the right data, tools and best practices more discoverable
- Building capacity of software users and developers and fostering a sense of pride in their work
- Promoting advocacy for a culture of data sharing and reusable software.